About Oxtellar XR
What is Oxtellar XR?
Oxtellar XR is a prescription medicine used:
- With other medicines to treat partial seizures in adults
- With other medicines to treat partial seizures in children 6 to 17 years of age
Oxtellar XR is a once-a-day formulation of oxcarbazepine. As an insured patient taking Oxtellar XR, you have access to co-pay cards that may reduce your co-pay to $0 per month* for up to 12 months. Visit the Patient Savings section on this website for more information on eligibility.
What should I tell my doctor before taking Oxtellar XR?
Before taking Oxtellar XR, tell your doctor about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- Have or have had suicidal thoughts or actions, depression, or mood problems
- Have liver problems
- Have kidney problems
- Use birth control medicine. Oxtellar XR may cause your birth control medicine to be less effective. Talk to your doctor about the best birth control method to use
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Oxtellar XR may harm your unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant while taking Oxtellar XR. You and your doctor will decide if you should take Oxtellar XR while you are pregnant
- If you become pregnant while taking Oxtellar XR, talk to your doctor about registering with the North American Antiepileptic Drug (NAAED) Pregnancy Registry. The purpose of this registry is to collect information about the safety of antiepileptic medicine during pregnancy. You can enroll in this registry by calling 1-888-233-2334
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. Oxtellar XR passes into breast milk. You and your doctor should discuss whether you should take Oxtellar XR or breastfeed. You should not do both
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Taking Oxtellar XR with certain other medicines may cause side effects or affect how well they work. Do not start or stop other medicines without talking to your doctor.
Especially tell your doctor if you take: carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, or birth control medicine. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a list of these medicines, if you are not sure.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of them and show it to your doctor and pharmacist when you get a new medicine.
Who should not take Oxtellar XR?
Do not take Oxtellar XR if you are allergic to oxcarbazepine or any of the other ingredients in Oxtellar XR. See the Patient Medication Guide for Oxtellar XR for a complete list of Oxtellar XR ingredients.
What are the most common side effects of Oxtellar XR?
The most common side effects of Oxtellar XR include:
- Double vision
- Problems with walking and coordination (unsteadiness)
These are not all the possible side effects of Oxtellar XR. For more information about the side effects of Oxtellar XR, please see the Patient Medication Guide for a complete listing of the possible side effects of Oxtellar XR. You can also discuss the possible side effects of Oxtellar XR with your doctor or pharmacist. Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or does not go away.
How can I get more information about Oxtellar XR?
For more information about Oxtellar XR, you can talk to your doctor or pharmacist, or call Supernus Support toll free at 1-866-398-0833, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 6 PM Eastern time, excluding holidays.
Taking Oxtellar XR
How should I take Oxtellar XR?
Take Oxtellar XR 1 time each day as directed by your doctor.
It is very important to remember that in order for Oxtellar XR to work properly you must take Oxtellar XR at the same time each day on an empty stomach. Oxtellar XR should be taken at least 1 hour before or at least 2 hours after a meal. Do not cut, crush, or chew the tablets before swallowing.
Do not stop taking Oxtellar XR without talking to your doctor. Stopping Oxtellar XR suddenly can cause serious problems, including partial seizures that will not stop (status epilepticus). Take Oxtellar XR exactly as prescribed. Your doctor may change your dose. Your doctor will tell you how much Oxtellar XR to take.
What should I do if I’m having side effects?
Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you or does not go away.
Should I take Oxtellar XR with food?
Take Oxtellar XR on an empty stomach. This means you should take Oxtellar XR at least 1 hour before or at least 2 hours after a meal. Take Oxtellar XR tablets whole with water or other liquid.
What should I do if I take too much Oxtellar XR?
If you take too much Oxtellar XR, call your doctor or call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I do if I miss a dose?
Talk with your doctor about what you should do if you miss a dose.
*Terms and conditions apply.